Monday, December 17, 2012

The Road to Heaven


I had entitled this Image "Rod to Heaven". The symbolic nature of this scene struck me in an instant as I stood on top of a ridge line just outside Martinborough. There are times when during the present we look back on our past then inadvertently cast out eyes to the future.

Looking back, this was one of those moments. I was straddling this fence, and considering the vision stretched out before me when my phone rang. It was a close cousin asking me to be a god father to her new born son. Having no children of my own, I was elated and honored to be considered.

A new and bright future loomed before this youngster where as my existence on this earth was statistically half way through. The fence became my road in life, meandering its way through the highways and pathways of this world to stop at this point of time. The posts were me, my life, my future, the result of a full and varied life. Worn from time and experience.

We all consider our end, as mine stretched out before me, the light out before me, the body finding youth again as the fence posts right themselves when Heaven approaches. Its not a sad story by any means but one of joy and fufulment. A satisifaction of making the most of what I have, looking back and saying "Hell Yeah, what a ride".

No comments:

Post a Comment