Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hit The Road

Well I have been on holiday for 2 weeks now and have one glorious week to go. It all began with a bit of a road trip around the bottom half of the north island from Whakatane to Featherston then on to Wellington. The next stop was the mighty Taranaki and we held up there for a couple of days. Its a fantastic piece of coastline with an amazing history. There were 15 old Moari Pa sites surrounding immediate location so one could almost feel the Moari spirits walking around you at times, so it was a little freaky to see this on the beach






We were told that a piece of ancient Moari Waka had been found not for from where I took the above picture and was dated at around the 1300s.





I haven't seen this mountain since I was 3-4 yrs old. It was the first time I saw snow and was totally in kid heaven. I also remember my Mother sliding on her butt down a snowy bank, not watching where she was going. That was a little scary for me due to the fact a 4yr old sees his parents as all conquering protectors and the idea of them as being vulnerable to such mistakes just never enters a childs mind. I suppose the fact it is one of very few memories I have from that trip means it must have taught me that if grown need grownups to help them then whats going to happen to me? Needless to say I have survived so my fears were unfounded.







Above believe it or not is a bridge in New Plymouth. As solid as it looks, it acts like a suspension bridge and move as you walk on it. A fantastic example of how this area is making a name for itself as an open minded and artistic region and the people just love it.



I couldn't resist. Pukekura Park, New Plymouth.


A brilliant sunset at Urenui.

No comments:

Post a Comment