Thursday, July 30, 2009

WHO ME??

I think the most difficult project I decided to undertake was my first self portrait. The thought had crossed my mind several times in the past but for some reason that's all it did, cross my mind. It was as though for some reason I knew the time wasn't right so put it off for another year or so. After a while a switch switches (as switches do!!) and hey, today's the day.

Now that may sound a bit theatrical I suppose but for me taking a picture of myself was not just a daunting prospect but I knew it would involve looking closely at myself (again), my past, and what it was that made me who I am. The most time spent was spent doing just that as well as thinking of a way to make it work.


Photography by its nature this a thing to be shared, shown off even. Its a way of communication (even if we all may differ in what we think we are being told) but this is a self portrait, it feels so personal. We are in the business of getting our images out there to all, but this? I am not sure whether it was because this was my first and there for the hardest or whether it contains more of me than any image I have taken to date but I have had trouble showing this one off. Its almost like walking around naked.

Like most who consider themselves artists, works rise from inspiration, experience,passion and maybe a touch of soul. We know what our creation means, what it's trying to say while at the same time encouraging the viewer to generate there own interpretation. Art and photography is so subjective and that's what it's supposed to do. This image is different. It has alot of specific pain and triumph, mainly personal victory (yeah, where you ask). It may not be open to subjective interpretation so yes, its like walking around naked.

I took that image two years ago and the cycle has begun again, I'm thinking about another, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment